Sunday, November 11, 2012

The tale of 3 lists.


So I am working on building my 1600 point list for Shifting Sands. I am juggling three lists at the moment. Each list has something I really like about it but there core is the same. I am going for the 7th armored Infantry company. 

Confident trained is not everyone's favorite spot to be in the game, but I like the challenge that trained troops offer, making me think more on how I will approach attacking and defending at the same time invading my more tactical side of my brain.

So here is my three lists followed by the basic tactics and mindsets behind them. I don't put too much into tactics right away when building lists. I instead focus more on balance and being able to do basic things. Any true tactician will tell you a balanced and flexible unit will secure victory more readily then a unit that is too precise for the randomness of the enemy lists and tactics. 

But enough about that now to the lists!    




List 1
Company HQ
HQ 35
   +1 bazooka

Combat platoons
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
2/3 Armored Anti-tank platoon 95
    +2 Bazookas

Weapons platoons
½ Armored HMG platoon 80
     +1 Bazooka
Full Assault Gun Platoon 105
-3 M8 Scot platoon

Support Platoon
Full Corps Tank Destroyer Platoon 315
-4 Hellcats
Field Artillery Battery 215
-4 155mm Guns with transports
Armored Field Artillery Battery 300
-6 Priests  

Total 1595


So this list is more about being flexible then the other two. I like the AT guns as a combat platoon, allowing me to attach the HMG and Bazooka to them if I don't have reserves. The Anti-tank platoon with the attachments becomes a real interesting pinning platoon or something to hold objectives. when Attacking I plan to set it up on a hill to pin my opponent as I advance. This list has more platoons then the others and more varied options making it a bit more flexible. Being flexible limits my platoons to being all trained, and I only have 2 Combat Rifle platoons, the workhorse of the list. Anther plus to the list one is that it has 3 artillery platoons giving me more pinning options. 

Now for my 2nd list,

List 2

Company HQ
HQ 20

Combat platoon
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
2/3 Armored Anti-tank platoon 80
    +1 Bazookas

Support Platoon
Full Corps Tank Destroyer Platoon 315
-4 Hellcats
Field Artillery Battery 210
-4 155mm Guns
Armored Field Artillery Battery 300
-6 Priests

Total 1600

 This list embraces the more true nature of the list, by taking 3 full platoons of armored rifles. The list loses the M8 Scotts, a couple of bazookas, transports and the HMGs for the extra rifle platoon that has most of those things. The biggest loss is the M8s with there low firepower, they would be nice to target gun teams and soften targets up with direct fire or drop a bombardment if i really need to pin something. But this list does have 3 infantry platoons that strengthens its core and thus adding stability to the army. 

Now to list 3,

List 3 

Company HQ
HQ 20

Combat Platoons
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
Full Armored Rifle platoon 225
2/3 Armored anti-tank platoon 80
+ 1 Bazooka

Weapons platoon
½ Armored Machine gun platoon 65

Support Platoon
Full Corps Tank Destroyer Platoon 315
-4 Hellcats
Veteran Field Artillery Battery 280
-4 155mm Guns with transports
Veteran Armored Field Artillery Battery 390
-6 Priests 

Total 1600


The 3rd list is interesting since it highlights the artillery by making it veteran. So they will hit harder then before, making them more effective but then limiting my other options. Anyone who has played me knows that my ability to use artillery well is one of the things that makes me a tough player to deal with and I admit it does play a key roll  in the lists I play. So making my artillery Veteran does add allot on its own, but is it worth taking if it limits some of the other things I do in my list? Though a Veteran devastating bombardment at AT 5 Firepower 3+ that could use "Time on Target." Is something to fear.

So in all three lists there is the core of troops, Hellcats for anti tank work, and a large bit of artillery, enough to do the Devastating bombardment. Picking what list to take is kinda hard since all these lists look good on paper to me. It is going to take allot of play testing (Nate I hope you are up for the challenge.)

So in summery

List one
-More Flexible
-Has 8 platoons so will be better suited in games with reserves
-Has 3 artillery platoons

List two
- Solid core with 3 full strength infantry platoons
- with larger platoons will be able to hold more ground defensively and be able to suffer more losses on the attack.

List three
-More focused on the Artillery, making it allot more effective
-Veteran artillery makes it more certain to pin key platoons making my assaults less risky.


What lists should I bring? Well I would love feedback or even your 7th armored infantry list that you would bring and why. I will be posting some play test results as soon as i have them but for now there are the lists I am thinking about.

-Andrew

2 comments:

  1. You need recon! Seriously, its essential in a post-V3 world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but the tank destroyer platoon is a recon platoon so in a pinch I do have that to fall back on. Though i may take out the HMGs in the lists that have them for the recon platoon so that I am not using a 315 point platoon doing what a 70-85 point recon platoon.

      Delete