Thursday, June 20, 2013

Whats up with all that hype? (Running 1 or 2 Hyperion jacks.)

Colossals are big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big they are. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to a Colossal. 
-Duogles Adams-ish


Hi all, once again I am diving into warmahcine! This time to talk about one of my newer-ish armies Retribution! 

Once I started playing Ret I began to fall more and more in love with the Hyperion Rules and it's model. I finally got to the stage where I really wanted to try the big beast-y out. After a month or two of playing around with one, I got a second one, that is how much I love this jack.






 On the model itself, it has allot of things going for it. In an army that tends to only run one or two jacks normally the Hyperion really shines. The Hyperion with it's 12 shields and 52 hit boxes has some good longevity built in. The Hyperion also adds something to the Ret army that it did not already have, it adds a heavy hitting jack. With melee weapons that are p+s 20 it outstrips the pow 17 that is our next highest jack. This is not to understate it's range abilities. As for range it has a massive AoE 5 Pow 18 cannon that has crit consume, and 2 pow twelve guns that have D3 shoots each. Also being that it is a retribution jack it has slightly above average speed and Def for a colossal.

Here are some combinations that work really well for me with the Hyperion. This is not a complete list of all the good combos but the combos that I use in my games. Check the privateer press forums for more combos.

1st up the Ancanist, this model is a must have in your lists. I bring two if I can fit them. I bring them mainly for there repair abilities. They can also give the big boy a focus (I use this mainly for running on the first turn) and they also have power booster (Str +2 bonus) for key melee turns. For 1 point each there is no reason that i can think of not to bring 2. They do so much and can easily hide behind the Hyperion.

2nd up is the caster, The caster of choice for me is Ossyan. His feat that boosts up all range damage the Hype can pump out is sweet. Ossyan also has a gun that will help the colossal to hit it's target and he has some great spells that really help one or more hyperions out,

- Chronomancer, For two focus this upkeep spell is awesome with one or more Hyperion jacks. It lets you boost after rolling. This really makes the big guys more focus efficient.
-Quicken, The high-ish defense for a colossal of 10 makes this spell interesting by bringing the Hyperion to Def 12 vs range and spells, this is not too shabby. This spell also takes our already fast colossal (speed 5) and ups it to a speed 7, first turn running at speed 14 is not bad, or charges at 10 inches and 2 inch reach is not bad at all, not at all.
-Shatter Storm, this spell is fun with its smaller pow twelve guns, just explosions after explosions on smaller def/armored units.



Next up Lanyssa. She is taken for her hunters mark skill, focus free charges at + 2 speed really add to the threat range of the Hyperion.

So adding all this together starting with Hunters mark in with Chronomancer, power booster and quicken you have a real threat, that can charge for free, boost after all its rolls, can charge up to 12 inches with its 2 inch reach and is at p+s 22.


I feel like I should state that you could add Lady Aiyana and holt to gain +2 more damage, this is adding 8 points now for mainly boosting one or two jacks but man it is fun.

Army lists

Here are the two army lists that I have been running the Hyperion(s) in,

At 35 points

Ossyan +6
Hyperion 18
Arcanist 1
Arcanist 1
Lanyssa Ryssyl 2
Stormfall archers 5
Stromfall archers 5
Halberdiers full with UA 9

At 50 I run
Ossyan +6
Sylys Wyshnalyrr 2
Hyperion 18
Hyperion 18
Arcanist 1
Arcanist 1
Lanyssa Ryssyl 2
Stormfall archers 5
Stromfall archers 5
Lady Aiyana and holt 4



Both the lists play vary much alike, the combos make the Hyperion a threat that your opponent can not ignore. The lists has s 2nd threat with the two units of stormfall archers that on feat turn they can dish out pow 12 attacks that roll 4 dice for damage. Using archers alone I can take down a colossal (I have done this vs the mountain king and the conquest). Stormfall archers are good enough to have another blog to talk about them in, but for now they serve as a second threat that will help divide your opponent's attentions from the Hyperion(s) once they get a few good shoots off.  

Well I hope that I wet your apatite on these massively awesome bad boys, though owing two may be a bit much, I would advise Retribution players to really consider 2. 

I did not really go over what is considered to be the best part about the Hyperion and that is the 5 inch AoE that has crit consume. I have had some epic games where Crit consume has played a key part in winning my games, though I try not to focus on it or rely on it too much. The gun has a short range of 10 inches so its not always going to be in play. Keep in mind that when it does not crit consume it does have a blast damage of 9, this will normally take out light armored units with no issue. As for its short range it is not that bad when you figure that it can still deviate and is a 5 inch AoE. This gun really does make the Hyperion a great artillery piece and can really let you deal with sheathed units as they normally have low enough armor that a blast 9 template will kill a good chunk of them. Also keep in mind that it is still a pow 18 gun that can be boosted, I am not sure that there are many other range guns that do this sort of direct damage in the game. It is also interesting to note that a colossal's base is slightly smaller then a 5 inch AoE, so hitting another colossal you will still damage anything that is in base contact with it, or as the case may be crit consuming all that is in base contact... mahahahahahaha! The best part is that the models in base contact with a colossal are normally models that can repair the thing. 

This gun alone is almost worth bringing the beast IMHO.

Well that is all for today, now to paint these things, or I may just wait... and paint some more dwarfs... I will leave you with some cool painted Hyperions (not by me, mine are still unpainted but these may inspire me to paint mine) 
-Andrew




No comments:

Post a Comment